Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weirdest comments I have heard about...

Homeschooling.

Many of y'all know that I was homeschooled from Kindergarten to senior year of high school. Honestly, I loved it and would not trade anything for it.

However, I have also been asked weird questions and at times have been forced to defend my parents' decision to people I just met many different times.

Here are just some of the many questions/comments that have been thrown in my direction:

1. Is it legal?

Yes, it's legal in every state in the union. Please do not ask us this one. It's insulting simply because it implies that my parents are criminals.

2. What is your mother's level of education?

Honestly, I was so surprised at this one. I told the individual who posed this question to me that my mom does indeed have a college degree. To which said individual replied, "Oh good! I thought you were going to say high school!" She meant well, but it sounded kind of condescending.

3. Do your parents care about socilization?

Yes, that's why they homeschooled. 'Nuf said.

4. Wow, you're pretty normal for a homeschooler!

Quit stereotyping. Seriously. What the heck do you mean by "normal"?

5. Are you even going to be able to get into college?

Is that a serious question? Yes, homeschoolers are accepted into college. I was even able to score some scholarships, paying for 1/4 of my schooling at the university that I now go to thanks be to God :)

6. Do you have a LIVE PERSON there instructing you all the time? I mean a LIVE PERSON?

Nope. Don't need one. Why? Because my mom taught me to teach myself (once again, thank You God!). If there were some things I needed Mom's help on, she was there for that reason. That's okay. Or if I'm frustrated, I would just put it aside and work on something else. I was able to master the concepts within a few days with help from Mom and God.

7. But you're so sheltered and have no idea what the real world is like.

I was out and about a lot during my homeschooling days. I practically lived in the community. Those who tell me I should be exposed to the real world (at least the Christians who have told me this) forget the Scripture that says "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: 'He catches the wise in their craftiness'” Is it really that important for me to get exposed to alcohol, drugs, and sex when I'm a kid? That's the "real world", like it or not.

8. Are you taught?

Is that a serious question? Please see #6's answer.

So that's my spiel for the day. I hope I did not offend anyone, that was not my intention in writing this at all. I like it when people ask me questions about homeschooling and I have nothing against the public schools. It's when people have the "I'm better than you" attitude that gets me frustrated. I don't like it on either side. Thanks for reading! :)

5 comments:

  1. I SO enjoyed this! (:
    Always,
    Jamie Nicole
    foreveryourimage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot, "Do you get to do your homework in your pajamas?"

    "So, are you, like, really smart?"

    (the usually genuine) "So how does that work, exactly?"

    And the ever amusing "So, how do you make friends?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I personally went to public school my entire life and turned out okay. I was never really exposed to alcohol, drugs or sex when I was a kid...I knew it was there but I stayed away from it. It's a matter of making a personal commitment to live morally. I wouldn't be the person I am today without going to public school. You have to be careful not to stereotype public schoolers when you say that others are stereotyping you, it's kind of having a double standard. Love you Jeannie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em I did not mean to stereotype. I was only saying that that was what people mean when they tell us that. Loive you too!

    ReplyDelete