Monday, April 4, 2011

Steps to Beauty and ICCM

This was it. This was the weekend we had been waiting for.

Steps to Beauty, the ministry I lead alongside my friend Crystle, was going to Inner City Church of Minneapolis (ICCM) to host a sleepover for the girls in Children's Church!

We had been prepping for weeks and were so pumped. Crystle and I laid out a tentative schedule (that's right, I said TENTATIVE)and together with the rest of the team created the set list. All of the planning Crystle and I had done was leading up to this weekend.

And during said weekend, my faith was tried.

The few days leading up to the sleepover, I spent some extra time in the prayer room. I couldn't have felt closer to God during that time. And before the final meeting before the sleepover, the Lord led me to Matthew 14.

Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

To me, our team was a lot like Peter. We were stepping onto ground that many of us had never stepped on. We had to have the faith to walk on the water and keep our eyes off of the wind and waves.

This weekend showed me that I need more work on that. I made a ton of mistakes (as my dear friend and former fearless leader Jessica assured me I would)which meant that I had to keep giving the sleepover and the talks and the dances to Him the half the time. The other half was spent praying in tongues.

And you know what? God helped us accomplish what we were there to do! We got to love on these girls, pray over them, and talk to them about their beauty and worth! What could possibly be better than that?

We walk not by what we feel or see, but by faith! It is God who is responsible for watching over His Word to perform it in our lives and in the lives of these girls!

So from here on in, I refuse to look at the wind and the waves an instead, keep my eyes on Jesus till I reach the other side!

Wow...God has taught me so much through student leadership!

No comments:

Post a Comment