Monday, March 21, 2011

Well I was wrong...

AGAIN.

After twenty years of endless debate, questioning, study,and prayer I have come to an astounding conclusion...

God is smarter than me.

Sounds so cliche'. Many Christians know it. But what they don't know is that they really don't know it the way they should know it.

When God has instructed me to do something and I do it, all the pieces fall into place. We don't have to do anything on our own.

Let me give you some examples.

About a month ago, "The Week" happened at North Central.

What is "The Week," you may ask? Well it just happens to be the equivilant of Spirit week at other colleges and universities across America. While most focus only on sports, we also focus on God and His impact on the school. There is always a theme highlighing said elements. This year's theme was Legacy. Legacy, as in "What kind of impact do we want to have here on the earth? How will people remember us?"

Chapel was therefore, given a decade everyday for every year North Central has been around. Wendesday, the theme was 70s and 80s. So Michael White, who is in charge of chapel at North Central asked the Mixed Choir to lead worship on that day, similar to how worship was led in those days.

However, though I was technically enrolled in Mixed, I had no knowledge of this. Why is that, you may ask. It's because I was going to drop the class by overskipping. After all, I'm tkaing it for zero credit and I was busy anyway with leadership responsibilities relating to Steps to Beauty and homework from other classes. I had nothing against the class. I liked the professor and it was a good outlet for me since I love to sing, but I simply had no time for it.

The bad thing was, when I made the decision to drop the class, the Holy Spirit kept telling me No, don't drop it, but I ignored Him.

So Tuesday, of "The Week," I had skipped chapel to do the enormous amount of homework that needed to be done before tomorrow's classes. I had gone to the deli to grab a transfer but was still in my room when 1:15 came along. Once again, the Holy Spirit prompted me to go to choir. Fed up with how unfair life was, I grabbed my coat, hat, scarf (all of the things necessary to survive a Minnesotan winter) and headed outside ot Mensing, fuming all the way. Fine, I was going to do what He said but that didn't mean I had to be happy about it!

I arrived in the studio five minutes after class began so they were still warming up. I took my seat and joined in, still fuming on the inside.

However, one of the other music professors came in and talked about the performance the next day, how we were to dress and went over the songs: "This is the Day", "We Bring the Sacrifice of Praise", and "Bless the Lord" (thankfullly I knew them very well).

After performing the next day I realized that if I had dropped the class and skipped that day, I would have missed out on that. I enjoyed it, it was fun, and I would love to do it again.

He is smarter than me. A lesson that is simple but one that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment