Saturday, March 20, 2010

Working Moms-Really Worth it?

I know what I'm about to say isn't going to agree with everyone but listen closely.

I'm doing a research paper on women working vs staying at the home with the kids. I had no idea how serious of an issue this was with kids until today.

We had a Steps 2 Beauty sleepover at a local church this weekend. During one of our talks we discussed our sign language song that we were teaching the girls called "In My Arms" by Plumb. If you listen to the song, you can very plainly see that the lyrics are a mother's words to her infant baby. It was so obvious!

However when we asked these ten plus 2-3rd graders who was doing the narrating in this song, we heard answers like "day care worker," "babysitter," and "mom's friend," from about nine out of the ten or eleven girls we had! Only one said "Mama."

My heart aches for her! It's barely comprehendible to someone like me who grew up in a house where Mama stayed home with us and was always there to dry our tears, help us with school, hug us, or give us discipline and instruction.

Now I have a close relationship with my parents and I feel like I can go to them for just about anything!

How many kids miss out on a relationship so precious and so needed in this society?

To all of the 60s feminist ladies.....is having someone else raise your kids worth it?
Is having someone else sing lullabys and giving the children care and attention that you could be giving them worth it?
Is having someone else's morals and values influencing your baby worth it?
Is being distant from your children in later years worth it?

2 comments:

  1. Be very careful my sweet niece with your words. Those of us who had no choice have aches in all the crevices of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Aunt Ouida! :) I understand the situation with single Mamas and I respect the hard work that they put into their children and making house a home! I should have made mention of the exception. I understand single moms have no choice in this matter. I was addressing mothers who were married and were pursuing a career above their children. I love you soooooo much!

    ReplyDelete