Tuesday, January 19, 2010

No Fear Here! :D

Well lately, the Lord and I have been workin' on getting my mind renewed! I was listening to a sermon by Brother Kenneth Copeland and the verse he read off was 2 Timothy 1:7 which says, "God has not given us a spirit of fear but a spirit of power, love and a sound mind."

Now I've heard this verse for years, memorized it for Sunday School, this, that and the other. But when Brother Kenneth read it, something went off inside me! That was my Rhema word! :DDD

You see, I am very much a people person and I aim to please everyone. If I felt like I didn't please someone, then I would worry, fret, and jump through hoops to make that person happy with me. My Achilles heel as of late has been the question: what do people think????

I then realized that I didn't have a social problem-I had a fear problem. Needless to say, that surprised me.

It also made me mad. I had been letting the devil play me like a fiddle this whole time!!!

You understand, fear doesn't come from the Lord! He's the One who set us free! Fear = oppression and bondage, and if you or I am bound by something, or depressed about something, we're in fear. If we're in fear, we're not in faith. If we are focused on the problems (perceived or real), we're not in faith. And without faith, it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 1:5).

Look at what happened to Peter in Matthew 14. He and the other disciples were in a boat on the sea and well as all self-respecting winds and seas do, they made a storm.

25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"


Stop right there. Or as my pastor would say, "hold your finger there for just one minute!" Now think about what happened. Peter, when he was walking on the water, had his eyes on Jesus. But when he took his eyes off Jesus, he began to sink. He ( just like so many of us do,) let fear in, and choke the word that Jesus gave him, which was "Come!"

It was then I realized that I was letting fear control me. Why should I let fear control me when Perfected Love has CAST OUT FEAR????

Obviously, the Lord knew I had better things on my agenda than to worry and stress all the time. Better things, like spending more time with Him, reaching out to people, helping those in my college community, and even studying (apparently, that's required in college, nowadays :/ )!

Life is so much better when I'm focused on God and not the problems in my life. As long as you got your eyes on Jesus, it doesn't matter what your circumstances are. Jesus has promised us deliverance!!!! Look at John 16:33, which says,

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Ain't He wonderful? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment