Monday, April 6, 2009

Sorrow Not!

I receive a devotion in my emails from Kenneth Copeland ministries daily, but sad to say, I rarely take the time to read them.

Fortunately, the Holy Spirit got my attention, and I read it yesterday. The Lord must've seen what was going to happen because I just found out today that my mom's cousin, Melanie, died. :(

Life does come at you fast.

But the message I read in my emails was just what I needed to hear!

The title of the devotion was Sorrow Not!

One of the devotions main points was that when times of grief and sorrow come, we need to feast on the Joy of the LORD which, according to Nehemiah 8:10 is our strength, the very strength that keeps us going! It's the very strength that helped me through the death of my great-grandfather five years ago.

Fact is fact. We can't do this alone.

Honestly, I don't know how people who do not belong to Christ go through grief and loss!

But since I am born again, I know that I will see Melanie again someday!

The Holy Spirit gave me a new perspective of death back in October, when my grandma died, the perspective being the fact that I know I will see her again since I am a Christian myself.

Or a shorter version would be this-We didn't lose Grandma; she moved away!

That is one thing that is getting us through this time of my cousin's "moving out" :)

Another thing that is enabling me and my family go through this is the fact that Jesus went through the same emotions that we did concerning loss!

Sometimes, I tend to read through the Bible quickly without reading between the lines.

However when I read John 11 33-35, I saw in my heart very clearly that Jesus did have emotions that He had to overcome; and overcome He did!

Many of us cannot imagine Jesus weeping about anything; but yet Jesus did. The Bible says He did.

Jesus understands everything we go through in everyday life! He understands the things we are tempted with, struggle with, fight with. Why?

Because He went through those same things Himself! Check out Hebrews 4:15:

"For we do not have a High Priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one Who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet without sin."

I now breathe a big sigh of relief, knowing that He understands, and more importantly, He cares! Even about the smallest thing in our lives! THAT is how much He loves you and me!

So I lean on the Holy Spirit as my Comforter, through times of loved ones moving out! ;). Ha! Those who have moved out are having a ball at this very minute! They get to see it all before we do! :/. Not fair I know, but the LORD has plans for those of us still on the earth. But still, I long for,

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it Jesus, this I plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be!

2 comments:

  1. Hi I am sorry about your lost. I know what it feels like. But what is your lost is their gain. Is it not marvelous that the Creator of the Universe loves and understands what we are going through. She is done with the earth's trials and enjoying heavenly rest.

    Sin where are your shackles?
    Death where is your sting?
    Hell has been defected.
    The grave will not hold the King.
    ~Arise my Love Newsong~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words of encouragement! :)

    oh btw, I <3 that song!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete