Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God With your Time

I'm still in the habit of listening to sermons every night before I drift off to sleep. In fact, last night, I tried to go without it because I had to get up early today, but I just couldn't get to sleep! So I did what every self-respecting teenager/adult would do in a situation like this.

I got out my iPod, my headphones, and most importantly, my "ears to hear."

Well anyhoo, the series that I am currently listening to is called the First Principle. It's a sermon series that Pastor Moore preached about a year or two back, about keeping God first in your life. Brother Moore's main text in the "The First Principle," is from Matthew 6:33 which says,

But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteosness,

Seems cliche'. Pretty basic. Most of us already know it....

But are ANY of us actually DOING it? Are we actually putting His things, His people, and HIM first in our lives?

Unfortunately, no. I know I haven't been.

I've been more eager to rush to the TV or Facebook than the Word, and I've not been doing my quiet time as faithfully, or praying in the Spirit like I should be. I've been more faithful in doing my schoolwork than I have been doing my Bible studies.

Oh well, maybe I don't have time. Maybe I don't FEEL like it. Those are good excuses, right?

WRONG!

When it comes to putting God's things and God's people first, we need to go to the extreme. I know I certainly need to.

It will take some time to discipline myself in that area. My flesh may not like it.

Well my flesh can get over it!

But the harvest you reap from sowing all that time and effort into the Kingdom of God will be rewarded! Read the rest of Matthew 6:33

And all these things shall be added unto you.

Serving God comes with rewards and spiritual blessings, whereas doing the opposite brings emptiness and disappointment.

A good example would be the Parable of the Great banquet in Luke 14. It's scary how much the invited guests who "couldn't come" sound like me!


16Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.'

18"But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.'

19"Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.'

20"Still another said, 'I just got married, so I can't come.'

21"The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.'

22" 'Sir,' the servant said, 'what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.'

23"Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. 24I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.' "


Ouch! What a wake-up call!

It showed me what the result is when I don't seek Him first. I miss out on something amazing! And it's not His fault I missed it, it's mine for being lazy and complacent.

Thank God that He is merciful and that I can start over every morning!

You see, God wants us to have the very best in life. But He can't give it to us unless we seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness. The adding onto comes later, sometimes later than we would like. But we would be amazed about how much we grow and become like Him if we made Him number one in our lives.

Like I said, it's not gonna be easy. I will have to make changes all my life, but if I follow Him, I'll be on my way to something better! My life consists of giving Him my all!

I don’t wanna go through the motions
I don’t wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking
What if I had given everything?
Instead of going through the motions

Matthew West-The Motions

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is always very convicting! I thank you for that! I was watching a movie and on was the question: What is it going to take for God to get your attention? I thought God already did enough to get our attention but we don't listen. Dieing on a cross for our sins should be enough for us to completely surrender our lives to Jesus Christ, but we still don't give him our all. WHY? Because the flesh is strong. We need to get spiritually worked out. I when I have been reading the bible I don't really think about what it means, All the time. I have read that story several times but just thought that they were not paying attention.

    It is a very long comment, You gave me things to think about. THANKS again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Love you girl! Your comments are always so encouraging!

    And as for me, I'd read that story who knows how many times but it didn't really speak to me till I heard it preached! :O LOL luv ya and thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete