Friday, March 20, 2009

Reverencing the Holy Spirit by Respecting Others.

I listen to sermons on my iPod. So every night when I go to bed, I'll lay my head on the pillow, pop my earbuds in, and listen to sermons by Pastor Keith Moore. (I have the link to his website on the side panel of this blog).

Well the message I listened to last night was called Reverencing the Holy Spirit. It's amazing how often I have disrespected Him and not even realized it! Thank goodness the Lord is merciful to us in our ignorance!

Brother Keith's main text was taken from Acts chapter 5:1-5


Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. With his wife's full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles' feet.

Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."

When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=acts%205&version=31


What a happy ending. :/

Here we see the worse case scenario of disrespecting the Holy Spirit.

Now did Ananias think for a second that he might possibly be lying to God, not just the man of God?

Probably not. He probably thought he was lying to Peter, and Peter only. No big deal, right?

Wrong!

He may have been lying to Peter from a natural standpoint, but the Holy Spirit took it personally. This was proven when Peter said, "You have not lied to man but to God."

Ouch.

Here's another example. Saul, when he was on the road to Damascus and was blinded by a great light, what did Jesus say to him in Acts 9:4? Did He say, "Why are you persecuting my followers?" No, Jesus said,

"Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=saul+why++me&searchtype=all&version1=31&spanbegin=1&spanend=73

Here again, we see Jesus taking the mistreatment, persecutions, and arrests, personally. To Jesus, how we treat our brothers and sisters in Christ, is how we treat the Holy Spirit.

And here is more biblical proof. Jesus, when He is talking to the lambs in Matthew 25. When He was talking about how He was sick, in prison, thirsty, and the lambs met His needs? From a natural standpoint, they were helping other people.

However, we see Jesus taking this personally as well.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=25&version=31

Wow! Jesus is saying that how we treat other people is how we treat Him! So that's why Mom always encouraged me and my brother to treat eachother like we would Jesus.

So, with those Scriptures and examples in mind, I'm gonna think twice before I talk back to Mom, roll my eyes at Dad, and snap at my brother!

It will take alot of growing on my part! Thank God that the Holy Spirit is here to help me :)

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the suns of God.
Romans 8:14

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement! I am so learning to control my tongue and attitude! It has been painful!!! I had a verse but I forgot it!
    Hannah Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered the verse!
    1 Corinthians 13: 4-7
    "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

    ReplyDelete