Friday, February 27, 2009

You Don't Know...

How special someone is in your life till the miles separate you.

Take for example, my brother. He started at an out of state Bible college in the fall, and not having him around has been....well, weird.

Up till the time he left I cannot remember ever not seeing him for more than a week. Now, I'm having to go one, two, maybe even three months without seeing him. We have done quite a bit of talking on the phone, but it's not the same as actually getting to talk face-to-face or even giving him a hug.

Another good example would be my best friends in Shreveport. Last time I saw them was in October-and a good whopping four months have gone by since then. And to think seven years ago, I saw them almost every day. They made living in Shreveport so much fun. They are like brothers and sisters to me. Oh, how I miss them!

But then I realize that life goes on. Moving, going to college, and starting a family is all a part of life. These things are going to happen eventually in your life if they haven't yet.

But when that time comes don't let it depress you, like I did for the longest time. The devil did everything he could to make me depressed, sad, and angry (I mean c'mon just WHY did we HAVE to move?) and he will do the same thing to you and succeed if you let him. It's so easy to fall prey to those emotions but like I said this is where the devil will try and trap you like he did me.

If you are the one moving or staying, seize the opportunity that God has given you to make an impact in someone else's life, just like you did with your friend(s). Overtime, you will find that if you had succombed to those feelings you never would have made as many friends or matured in the Lord like you did.

By God's grace I overcame those feelings and have made many friends who love the Lord like I do, and influence me to do the things that God has called me to do. Imagine what I would have missed out on if I had stayed in Shreveport! I still consider Shreveport to be home, and my friends there to be family, but my new place will have a special place in my heart as well.

It's just like the old saying,

Make new friends, but keep the old;
One is silver, and the other's gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment